0 votes
I was tracing back processes and created a new process of electricity mix, I did not save any changes, however when I tried to calculate the previous version I got an error saying that the matrix is singular, what could I have done that creates such an error? Especially considering that I did not save changes.

I can not evaluate any process of ecoinvent and I have tried with different methods (EF, IPCC).
in openLCA by (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (114k points)

Hi, when you did not save anything then of course you will not get different results from before, but maybe you did some changes and saved them, before? 

A singular matrix (the message refers to the technosphere matrix) cannot be solved, simply speaking; you get this e.g. when you have rows or lines in the matrix that are linearly dependent from each other, so e.g. just a constant factor different. This happens e.g. if you have two lines that are completely 0. This is the inventory calculation, so using a different impact method does not help. 

You can check the matrix by enabling matrix image export in openLCA (go to preferences) and then you can, for a product system, export the matrices from the calculation. Check the A matrix.

Hope this helps, Andreas